Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Broken Silence

BLOG TIME!!!

The most amazing thing happened at work yesterday! One of my speech kids, we will call him Bill, has severe autism and does not speak. Not because he can't, but because he doesn't want to. Bill never says ANYTHING. Nothing. His mom says he never speaks to her at home or any other members of the family at home either.

Therapy pretty much consists of the two of us sitting in a small room together--just staring at each other. He never shows emotion. Not a smile..frown..nothing. Just a neutral stare. Sometimes I try to annoy emotion out of him (singing, telling jokes that aren't funny, being overly enthusiastic, talking constantly). It kind of works. Instead of staring blankly at me, he'll put his face in his hands...

So as you can imagine..after 8 months of working with Bill..never hearing him speak is pretty frustrating.

However, yesterday, I went to go get Bill and walk with him to my office for speech therapy. We have to walk down two flights of stairs. I noticed Bill was wearing over-sized tan Fubu boots that he refused to tie.

"Bill," I said, "You need to tie your boots or you're going to fall down those stairs."

Bill replied, " "...and continued down the stairs.

Not even seconds later..Bill trips down a few steps..twisting his ankle and jamming his finger from trying to catch himself. Then...wait for it..wait for it..I hear the most amazing sound I've ever heard:

Bill: OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! My finger!!! OWWWWWWW THAT HURT! THAT HURT!! OWWWW"

That was all. Then it was silent. Bill looked at the ground, shocked. I looked at him, shocked. We walked the rest of the way to my office together in silence. We both take our seats.

Me: Bill, I couldn't help noticing your screaming in the hallway...
Bill: " "
Me: I told you to tie your boots or you'd get hurt.

Bill tied his shoes.


That was all, but it was great stuff. His teacher doesn't even believe me.

Second great thing to happen! (Off subject, but I'll do what I want)

I cooked real food and it tasted like real foood. Check it out!!



Its okay to admit you're impressed.

3 comments:

  1. That is amazing (about "Bill")!!!!!!
    Also, I've been trying, trying being the key word, to cook real food that tastes like real food. Half the time it works, half the time it comes out sort of...meh. It's funny how little things like this make us feel grown up, but they do!!!
    I AM impressed.
    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I helped people with autism before with tasks that we often take for granted. It can be tough to gain progress, however when you do, it's awesomely rewarding!

    Impressive!

    ReplyDelete